We know – the words “healthy” and “vegan” don’t seems to fit when thinking about some of your childhood favourites like Rice Krispies Treats. But we’ve taken all the great memories of this crispy and chewy snack and revamped it into something you can feel good about giving your kids (and eating yourself!).
There is still some sugar in them, form the pure maple syrup, but feel free to play with the recipe by adding less maple syrup and more nut/seed butter & coconut oil to adjust the sweetness!
- 4 cups gluten-free crisp rice cereal (we used Nature’s Path, Organic Crispy Rice Cereal)
- 1/2 cup Staterra Organic brown rice protein (Vanilla)
- 1/4 cup creamy nut or seed butter (We used almond butter)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil (+ additional for greasing the baking pan)
Optional: 2-3 Tbsp. additional nut or seed butter, for drizzling.
- Prepare a 8×8 baking pan by greasing it with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the rice cereal and protein powder. Set aside.
- In a small pan over medium-high heat, add nut/seed butter, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently to avoid burning, before removing from heat and allowing to cool slightly.
- Pour liquid into the cereal mix. Stir until everything is fully combined and all the cereal is well coated.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish. Using the spatula or your hands, spread the mixture evenly in the pan, pressing down firmly.
- Serve as is, or drizzle additional nut/seed butter over the top of the packed cereal mixture.
- Place pan into fridge and allow to cool for 30 minutes before cutting into squares.