Seeing as it’s Halloween tomorrow, we felt it only fitting to put together a smoothie inspired by this spooky-season.
This Black Magic Smoothie Bowl combines berries, baby kale and activated charcoal, making it not only beneficial in terms of its vitamin C, fibre and antioxidants, but also because of the activated charcoal, which helps to reduce bloating and gas, lower cholesterol, and support bile flow. A study from a 2012 edition of the “Journal of Agricultural Food and Chemistry” also found that eating berries may help prevent age-related decline in brain function. So although this smoothie may look scary, it’s actually pretty great for both the brain and the body!
Give it a try for yourself & let us know what you think!
- ½ cup frozen mixed berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- ½ banana, sliced and frozen
- 1 – 2 handfuls baby kale, chopped
- ⅛ – ½ tsp activated charcoal (powder – naturally derived)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut or cashew milk (water also works here)
- 1 scoop Staterra Organic Brown Rice Protein (Vanilla)
- Pinch sea salt
- Ice and/or water to desired consistency
Optional Toppings: Pumpkin seeds, raw almonds, sliced kiwi, chia seeds, ground flaxseed, fresh blueberries
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. Serve immediately, add toppings & enjoy!
Looking for the highest quality whey or vegan protein on the market? Checkout our shop or send us an email!
Want something a little more tailored to your needs and goals? Fill out our health questionnaire today to get your customized supplements – one of our registered nutritionists will be in contact with you shortly.
NOTE: Activated charcoal is most commonly used to pull toxins out of the body, and can be used for indigestion or upset stomach. It’s important to use as directed.
Photo source: AKETTA