Starbucks made headlines a few weeks back with the release of their Unicorn Frappuccino – a pink and blue concoction that reportedly tastes similar to tropical skittles. Although we love unicorns, we couldn’t handle the amount of sugary syrups used in its creation and knew that there had to be a healthier alternative to this beautiful drink.
Low and behold, we found this delicious recipe from Megan Gilmore, Certified Nutritional Consultant (CNC) and owner of DETOXINISTA. After trying it for ourselves, we made a few tweaks and added our Organic brown rice protein to the base. We think the end result is delicious (never mind being loaded with antioxidants).
Give this Unicorn Smoothie recipe a try and let us know what you think!
For the Pink Base:
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut or cashew milk
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 (100 g) packet of frozen pitaya/dragon fruit puree (available at Whole Foods)
- 1 scoop Staterra’s organic brown rice protein (vanilla)
For the Blue-Green Drizzle:
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
- ⅛ teaspoon spirulina powder
- 1 tablespoon water
For the Top:
- Dairy-free whipped cream OR Homemade Coconut Cream
- To make the pink smoothie base, combine the water, coconut or cashew milk, mango, banana, and pitaya/dragon fruit puree in a high-speed blender and blend until thick and smooth. (NOTE: you might need to add more water to help it blend.)
- To make the drizzle, stir together the cashew butter, spirulina, and water. The mixture should be thick and blueish-green in color.
- To assemble the smoothie, drizzle the spirulina/cashew mixture around the sides of a glass.
- Pour the smoothie into the decorated glass, top with whipped cream (if desired), then serve!
Homemade Coconut Cream
- 1 can (BPA-free) of full-fat coconut milk (we used Native Forest Unsweetened Organic Coconut Milk – available at Whole Foods)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chill your can of coconut milk in the fridge for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. When you remove the chilled can, be careful not to shake it, as you want the cream that floats to the top to stay separated from the liquid portion at the bottom. (NOTE: chilling the mason jar you’re going to use for at least 10 minutes in the freezer will help)
- Carefully open the can of coconut milk and scoop the thickened cream into the (ideally) chilled mason jar. Reserve the remaining liquid in the can for a morning smoothie!
- Add the pure maple syrup and vanilla extract to the heavy coconut cream, then screw the lid onto the mason jar. Shake vigorously for 3-5 minutes, until the cream is thickened and fluffier in texture. Serve immediately over your favourite fruit or dessert!
Looking for the highest quality whey or vegan protein on the market? Checkout our shop or send us an email!
Want something a little more tailored to your needs and goals? Fill out our lifestyle survey today to get your customized supplement – one of our registered nutritionists will be in contact with you shortly!
Photo Credit: Megan Gilmore (DETOXINISTA)