2017 is only 5 weeks away. This means that for many of you, New Years Resolutions will be top of mind in about 4 and a half weeks. Though resolutions are a great way to jump start any kind of self improvement, very few people who make them manage to keep them. One way to help keep these resolutions is to plan. Many people come up with a resolution between Christmas and New Years and start on January 1st or 2nd. If you are planning to get more fit in 2017 a gym membership may be something you are considering. There are so many options around the city that spending a few weeks in December trying a few out may help you stick to your resolution come January. Many gyms have trial memberships, some are for a couple of classes some for a week but the nice thing is that you can try them out before you commit.
The Fitness Lab, located in Manotick, is a new gym offering strength, conditioning, mobility and yoga classes as well as open gym time. We love this place, it has great equipment, a smoothie bar and a great energy. The classes and trainers are excellent. There are different membership options starting at $49 for access to the open gym up to $139 for all of the classes and there is personal training available too. We definitely recommend giving this gym a try before you commit anywhere.
You can try out the Fitness Lab with a 3 free trial classes.
There are 4 Movati locations in Ottawa. You can find them in Kanata, Barrhaven, Orleans, the Trainyards and a new Nepean location on Merivale road is set to open on December 1st. If you are looking for the high end club feel, this is the place for you. Movati has Yoga, Cardio and Strength Training, Aqua and Spin Classes, a Women’s only section and some gyms have squash although not any of the Ottawa locations. They offer personal training and one of our favourite amenities is the child care. There are numerous membership options starting at $60 per month.
You can get a 1 day trial on their website.
Marshall’s Integrated Fitness
Marshall’s Integrated Fitness in Hintonburg will give you a different experience than most gyms in the city. They offer a wide range of cardio and weight training equipment. There are trainers available to everyone who is working out. At Marshall’s they treat you the way they want to be treated. The trainers will know who you are and Marshall or Doug (the owners) are almost always there. Marshall and the other trainers have experience in many sports throughout their careers. You can get a monthly membership for $65 and there are all sorts of training programs you can add on.
Marshall’s has a no-obligation Personal Improvement evaluation to discuss your goals and includes a free body composition analysis.
Different Membership Options
If you aren’t looking for a full gym membership there are lots of other options. One of our favourite trends to hit the Ottawa gym market is the arrival of the class pack.
- Wheelhouse is all about spinning. You can get monthly memberships but also have the option of buying a pack of 10 or 20 classes.
- Yoga town is turning up the heat on yoga. They have 2 locations and along with their memberships you can buy a pack of 10 or 20 classes.
- Orange Theory is all about the afterburn, with locations in South Keys and Stittsville you have the option of a monthly membership or you can purchase a pack of classes. They have a 1 week free trial available so you can try it out before committing to anything.
- OCR Academy on Morrison drive in Nepean is pretty unique in Ottawa. Do you want to be on American Ninja Warrior? If so this place is for you. Actually this is a place that will give you a whole body workout and can get you ready for whatever activity you might do. They have monthly memberships as well as 5, 10 and 20 class packs and family passes as well. The have single class pricing as well so you can check them out anytime.
- Iron X Fitness on Plymouth St in the Glebe gets you to your fitness goal through group classes, pole fitness and yoga. Iron X has all kinds of variations of monthly memberships as well as 6, 10, 12 and 20 class cards.
These packs of classes are great because you pay for what you get. Some people get to the gym regularly every week and a monthly membership works but for people who travel for work who may be out of town for a week or two every month these packs are great. You go when you have time and don’t lose out when you are away.
So give yourself the best chance to stick to your resolution. Try out some of Ottawa’s great unique gyms and get fit in 2017.